Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Cats - The Cats Complete Singles 1968 - 1978


 This is a Tone and Wave exclusive. It took me years to assemble this collection. I believe this is every song that The Cats released in their lifetime. 


If you don't know, when Madness did "Swan Lake" they weren't covering the classic Tchaikovsky song outright. They were covering The Cats version of the song. The B-side to The Cats Swan Lake" single was called "My Girl" and, as you know, Madness also had a song called "My Girl" but the joke here is that when you played the B-side to the Cats single and you were expecting a cover of the Temptations song but what you got instead was a cover of Mary Wells' "My Guy".

 The Cats recorded a lot of their renditions of classical music in the studio but their releases of these songs were limited. They recorded reggae/soul versions of Beethoven's "Fur Elise", Bach's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring", Mozart's "Ein Kleine Nachtmusik", Satie's "Gymnopedie No.1" and, I believe, Albinoni's "Adagio". These were never released until 2014 when a label called Kipa Recordings put out a CD with all of the Cats unreleased songs which were recorded in 1968. I don't have this CD but I am desperately looking for it.


What I do have is all of their singles that they did release. Here is my collection:

1 Swan Lake

2 Swing Low

3 The Hog

4 Blues for Justice

5 William Tell

6 Love Walk Right In

7 My Girl

8 Sherman

9 What Can I Do?

10 Falling in Love

11 Knees Up Motther Brown

12 Rubbish

13 Air on a G String

14 Swan Lake (1976)

15 Swan Lake (Disco Version)

 

 DOWNLOAD from MEGA

 

DOWNLOAD from Zippyshare

 

 

No comments: