Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Man Boys - Soul Rebels Capturing the Beat 7" (1982)

I'm not very familiar with the history of ska and reggae in Tennessee but I'm willing to bet this is one of the first.
The Man Boys were three brothers who captured the 2 Tone sound perfectly. When you first listen to this, try to ignore the juvenile lyrics which, really, aren't that bad, and just listen to the incredible songwriting and appreciate how well these guys captured the ska sound - but went totally unnoticed.

I don't know how many copies of this record were pressed but I'm guessing between 300 to 500, and there is no song on here called "Soul Rebels Capturing the Beat" - that's just the name of the record, but it shows their influence.
I don't know whatever happened to them or whether or not they had any other releases, but this is one of those great records that nobody knows about.

A - Waiting in the Wings
B - You're a Stamp

DOWNLOAD

No comments: