Saturday, September 2, 2023

Empty Hours fanzines

 Do you remember the band M.S.Q.  from Skankin' 'Round the World volume 3 from 1989? Did you ever wonder what M.S.Q. stood for? 

So did I. 

Now I know it stands for. It's Mabel Stringer Quartet. I would not have known that if our friend and long-time Tone and Wave contributor Rikard hadn't've sent us a couple of issues of an old fanzines called Empty Hours. These issues are numbers 23 and 24 and they are a veritable treasure trove of ska knowledge that cannot be found on the internet. I can only imagine what's in the first 22 issues. 

 Googling something for 5 minutes should never be called "research". Reading every page of old ska fanzines is actual research.

 

DOWNLOAD from MEGA


DOWNLOAD from Pixeldrain

 

There is no music in this post - only knowledge. A million thanks to Rikard and, just so everybody knows, Rikard has sent me a lot of old fanzines and I intend to post them all at some point. This blog will end at the end of this year but I will find some way of putting them out there. I'm thinking the Internet Archive but I'm open to suggestions.

Not Scrib'd (which is pronounced "scribed" - short for "transcribed" not "skrib id" which is how most people pronounce it.) .