Thursday, February 3, 2011

...how I spent my winter vacation...



I mentioned before that I had a lot of less important things to do besides dedicating so much free time to this blog.

How do you think that went?

I did the post on the Velvetones on New Years eve and just two hours later I found myself taking a wrong turn on an icy road and I wound up on a sandy shore of Lake Arrowhead. I tried all sorts of interesting driving techniques to get back up the steep road but it looked as though the wife and I would spend our New Years freezing to death in our car.

Luckily there were some plastic shovels and buckets some kids had left behind and I was able to scrape past the frozen sand and, for over an hour, I painstaking took one little bucket of sand at a time trying to cover up as much ice as I could. Just when I had only one or two buckets to go I was walking as carefully as I possibly could down this icy hill when I started to slide. Then, like something out of a cartoon, my feet flew out from under me and I slammed down on my back. Thankfully there was a large pointed rock that broke my fall. It caught me right in my tailbone. I'm sure the initial impact hurt like hell but I was fortunate enough to have hit my head and gone unconscious for a few seconds. I came to while I was still sliding down the hill...

...long story short...we eventually got out and decided to skip out on any New Years festivities. We went straight home and I went straight to bed. (after consuming every bit of every form of alcohol I had on hand.) I could barely sit up for the first few days and it was about two weeks before I could walk without it feeling like there was an ice pick stuck in my spine.
After the pain became more of a nuisance than anything else I went back to work. My first day back one of my co-workers went home early with the flu. I woke up the next morning feeling like my veins were polluted with cold hot-dog water. I spent another week in bed.

I got almost nothing done at all in January.

I hope you all are having a better New Year than I am.

I have received lots of emails and I've responded to very few. Today's my one day off from work so, after I do this and another post or two I will start answering some emails.

One message I received via Facebook was a link to a blog called Rusty-Knife. Its a great blog. The only release from Bouncing Soles from 1988, Boss, Deltones, Loveboats, Arthur Kay, Stage Bottles, Explorersz, The Mistakes - Shut Up and Dance EP, Tara's "Ska Man" 7" from 1980, The Skunks "Solenzara" 7" from 1980, original 2 Tone and Go Feet rips and lots of original Madness and Bad Manners vinyl rips. Not only that but lots of rare Oi!, traditional ska, and punk.

4 comments:

Mr. Freeze said...

What a bad start for 2011 Mr Tone and Wave! But better start slow and finish it at the top,no?
Hope everything's all right now!
Keep on the good work! Many thanks for all that fantastic stuff you bring us almost everyday!

Marco On The Bass said...

Welcome back Mr T & W! 2011 can only get better than it started! Look forward to your upcoming posts.

andreu said...

only the good die young... :P

Tone and Wave said...

Only the good die young and the rest of us get old and limp around complaining that things aren't what they used to be.

Thanks you guys for the well-wishing! I am doing much better than I've been in a long time.

Hopefully the same for you.

I got a lot going on in life but I am learning how to budget my time better and I have a ton of good stuff to post. I might slow down to just one post each week though. Some of this stuff is pure crap, to be honest, but a lot of it will be worth waiting for.