Friday, September 22, 2023

Do you know who this is? - a ska mystery [UPDATE - October 15, 2023]

 I have about ten ska demo tapes without any covers or labels or any kind of markings at all. I don't know who the band is, what year the tape is from, or even where the band is from.

Earlier today I listened to some of these tapes and this one here stood out. 

Every song is great. The voice sounds a little familiar but I can't place it exactly. This is 90s style 2-Tone inspired ska with female vocals played very fast. The last song is the A-Team theme song so that should give us a starting point but I have Googled this (or "done my research" as some might say) but I can't find anything about this tape. 

There are four tracks of female-fronted ska from either the 80s, 90s, or early 2000s and they could be from any country. All lyrics are in English if that helps

1 - ?

2 - ?

3 - ?

4 - ? (The A-Team Theme Song)

DOWNLOAD from MEGA

 

DOWNLOAD from Pixeldrain

 

UPDATE - I found an old folder with this tape that I had ripped previously and I have titles. I have searched these online to no avail. Do any of these titles sound familiar? Especially that first one? You would think that title would stand out. 

1 Britishlessness

2 Er Uit

3 Mr. P.C.

4 A-Team

 

I thought her accent sounded Dutch and the title "Er Uit - "Get Out!" "Get outta here with that shit" -or- "Go on with your bad self" is a Dutch expression. 

When I first said her voice sounded familiar I was thinking of Rebelation but now I'm reconsidering.  

...

3 comments:

aboynamedstew said...

i have no idea who this is, but it's super cool especially the guitar work on the first song. thanks for posting it.

aboynamedstew said...

I just couldn't leave it alone so i started doing some digging of my own. This youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ysKLfkfw3oU is definitely the same song, but a different recording. Son Of Blob - Eruit
Frustratingly, Son Of Blob's discogs page makes no mention of a demo tape with the song titles you listed. But maybe this will help lead you in a useful direction? Thanks again!

Tone and Wave said...

That is absolutely it.

This brought me closer than I would have ever gotten on my own.

It seems this is the only song by Son of Blob with female vocals so either my demo tape is an earlier incarnation of the band and they did a studio version of Er Uit before she left, or the demo tape is a different band altogether and Son of Blob did a cover of the song and got the original vocalist to play on their version.
It definitely sounds like the same singer.

Great find! Thank you.