Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bette Bright and the Illuminations [LINK UPDATED OCT. 21st, 2012]

Bette Bright was married to Suggs from Madness. She was formerly in a band called Deaf School before she teamed up with Glen Matlock of Sex Pistols and members of Clive Langer and the Boxes to form The Illuminations. Clive Langer produced Madness' early albums, and the Illuminations keyboardist Ben Barson is brother of Madness' keyboardist Mike Barson.

Bette was also sang for the Dutch post-punk/pop band Gruppo Sportivo and she appeared in The Great Rock and Roll Swindle as well as Madness' video for "One Better Day"


Photobucket
Here are all 5 of her singles:

My Boyfriend's Back (1978)
A - My Boyfriend's Back
B - Hold on, I'm Coming

The Captain of Your Ship (1979)
A - The Captain of Your Ship
B - Those Greedy Eyes

Hello, I am Your Heart (1980)
A - Hello, I am Your Heart
B - All Girls Lie

Some Girls Have All the Luck (1981)
A - Some Girls Have All the Luck
B - Tender Touch

When You Were Mine (1981)
A - When You Were Mine
B - Soulful Dress


DOWNLOAD ALL 5 SINGLES


Photobucket

"Rhythm Breaks the Ice" (1981) - her only album.

1 When You Were Mine
2 On a Night Like This
3 Hello, I Am Your Heart
4 All Girls Lie
5 Take What You Find
6 Talking Whispers
7 Thunder and Lightning
8 Shoorah Shoorah
9 Some Girls Have All the Luck
10 Tender Touch
11 Hold On

DOWNLOAD RHYTHM BREAKS THE ICE

Yeah, the 2 singles "Hello, I am Your Heart" and "Some Girls Have All the Luck"
are on the full-length - both A and B sides...same versions, but damnit, I'm a collector so I have the singles and therefore I feel more 'complete'. I trust you understand.
There is a bit of a ska influence in the later recordings, but she was not exactly a ska artist. Even still, her version of "Hold on, I'm Coming" is sexy and worth the listen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Loved the rarities.
I tried to download the Betty Bright files but everytime i do they came empty. Could you please help me?

Kind regards,
Symone
yuruides@ig.com.br

Anonymous said...

please reupload singles This file has been deleted because it has been inactive for over 30 days

mrfrosty said...

yeah, nice one. it would be really nice if you could re-up the singles.

alll the best

mrfrosty

Anonymous said...

Could you reupload singles? The file has been deleted because it has been inactive for over 30 days. Thanks so much

Nick said...

It would be grand if you could make the Betty Bright singles available again. I have very fond memories of going to see Deaf School...it's about all I can remember these days...

FuriousPig said...

Just discovered the site & it looks like I missed a lot of fun.

I know you have done this twice already but is there any chance you can re-up the singles please?