Monday, August 3, 2009

Clive Langer and the Boxes - Splash!

I have a 'wishlist' of things I am looking for and this album has teetered right around the top of that list for a long time. In June when I was without a computer I knew I had to save money to get a new one and that meant not spending money on music but I did come across a few things that I couldn't pass up. One was this album, one was "Skankin' Round the World vol.4" and then there were some Piranhas 7-inches. I knew I couldn't afford them all so the one thing that I did not get was Skankin' Round the World. This is one of those things I will forever regret.
Now that I have these great vinyls to rip and a new computer to rip them on my usb record player has decided to stop working. I know the new computer isn't the problem because it recorded the Sax Maniax album just fine.
I am still able to share this album however because, lo and behold, it has already been posted on another blog called Music...isms.
It's good to have the original, but damn, if only I had searched for it first I could have gotten Skankin' Round the World vol.4 instead and still have this as well.

Photobucket

1 Simple Life
2 Hello
3 Never Wanted You
4 Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya
5 Hope and Glory
6 Best Dressed Man
7 Half as Nice
8 Splash
9 It's All Over Now
10 Burning Money
11 Take You Down
12 First Thing in the Morning
13 Had a Nice Night

This download also includes the EP "I Want the Whole World" which is also courtesy of Music...isms. (Please browse that site and download the great music posted there and, remember kids, a little thanks goes a long way.)

I Want the Whole World
1 I Want the Whole World
2 Lovely Evening
3 I Know
4 Those Days
5 Simple Life

You will see how much Clive's music changed from the EP to the LP that he recorded after producing Madness' "One Step Beyond"

Here he is in the film "Take it or Leave It" (the guy standing up)
Photobucket



The covers for the album and the "It's All Over Now" single were created by Barney Bubbles and they all had the 5-pointed crown...
Photobucket

...which Madness has recently begun using as their own symbol.
Photobucket

Clive Langer has also produced Elvis Costello, Morrisey, Dexy's Midnight Runners, They Might Be Giants, The Teardrop Explodes, and more as well as having been in Deaf School, Big In Japan, and Bette Bright and the Illuminations (The Boxes basically were The Illuminations).
And, yes, he did produce The Liberty of Norton Folgate. HERE'S his site.

DOWNLOAD

No comments: