Sunday, July 19, 2015

Bette Bright and the Illuminations [REPOST from May 2009]

Bette Bright is married to Suggs from Madness. She was formerly in a band called Deaf School before she teamed up with Glen Matlock of Sex Pistols and members of Clive Langer and the Boxes to form The Illuminations. Clive Langer produced Madness' early albums, and the Illuminations keyboardist Ben Barson is brother of Madness' keyboardist Mike Barson.



Bette was also sang for the Dutch post-punk/pop band Gruppo Sportivo and she appeared in The Great Rock and Roll Swindle as well as Madness' video for "One Better Day"





Photobucket

Here are all 5 of her singles:



My Boyfriend's Back (1978)

A - My Boyfriend's Back

B - Hold on, I'm Coming



The Captain of Your Ship (1979)

A - The Captain of Your Ship

B - Those Greedy Eyes



Hello, I am Your Heart (1980)

A - Hello, I am Your Heart

B - All Girls Lie



Some Girls Have All the Luck (1981)

A - Some Girls Have All the Luck

B - Tender Touch



When You Were Mine (1981)

A - When You Were Mine

B - Soulful Dress





DOWNLOAD ALL 5 SINGLES





Photobucket



"Rhythm Breaks the Ice" (1981) - her only album.



1 When You Were Mine

2 On a Night Like This

3 Hello, I Am Your Heart

4 All Girls Lie

5 Take What You Find

6 Talking Whispers

7 Thunder and Lightning

8 Shoorah Shoorah

9 Some Girls Have All the Luck

10 Tender Touch

11 Hold On



DOWNLOAD 'RHYTHM BREAKS THE ICE'



Yeah, the 2 singles "Hello, I am Your Heart" and "Some Girls Have All the Luck"
are on the full-length - both A and B sides...same versions, but damnit, I'm a collector so I have the singles and therefore I feel more 'complete'. I trust you understand.

There is a bit of a ska influence in the later recordings, but she was not exactly a ska artist. Even still, her version of "Hold on, I'm Coming" is sexy and worth the listen.

No comments: