Sunday, April 21, 2019

Tune Out

My wife and I are obsessed music collectors and we are always on the hunt for the next great tune. We hit up the thrift stores, swap meets, yard sales, and anywhere else that sells old tapes, records, and CDs.
Sometimes we strike gold. Most of the time we don't. So we have collected a large trove of stuff that we will never listen to. We used to throw it away or push it on people we think might appreciate it (they never do).

A few years back we had the idea to start another blog to share this stuff. There has to be somebody out there who wants to hear it, right?

We had lots of ideas for a good name for the blog but, of course, they were already taken. We settled on "Tune Out". Not the best name but we did have some that were worse and this one was not taken yet. We started the blog three years ago and made very few posts. We didn't keep up with it because neither one of us had passion for ripping, scanning, and uploading this music that we just didn't like.

The blog sat dormant for years.

In that time I have amassed a sizeable collection of things that were sold online as "ska" music which turned out to not be ska at all. I did a couple of posts titled "not quite ska" which weren't very popular and personally I thought marred the purity of the blog.
Just because it isn't ska doesn't mean I don't like it. Some of it is really good.

So I decided to delete the old posts on Tune Out and start from scratch. I will still be posting some of those 'thrift-store finds' but I will mix in a lot of good stuff too.
I will continue doing Tone and Wave at the same pace that I have been keeping it strictly ska, but I will be going full-steam with the new blog.

The focus will be punk, new wave, power pop, post-punk, etc. but I will also be drifting into other genres like indie rock, surf, rockabilly, and that great 90s swing that everybody loves so much (yes, that was sarcastic. I like 90s swing-revival but I know that most people don't. There really was a lot of horrible attempts at swing but there were some great ones too. I considered posting some of it on Tone and Wave on several occasions but I always talked myself out of it).

Anyway, Tune Out is in its infancy right now but it will soon be your favorite blog. You'll laugh. You'll cry. It'll change your life. 

It's in my blog roll but you can CLICK HERE to get to it.



5 comments:

Thomas said...

cool, thanks for taking the time !

Rudeness said...

Yes yes..., good idea!

he we are
Saludos.

In search of the Ska said...

I have the same cassetterecorder thats on the picture.

Tone and Wave said...

In Search of the Ska: I found this image on eBay. It was the ugliest stereo I found. I didn't end up buying it, but some day I might try to track one down.

In search of the Ska said...

It's a good device, my dad gave it to me. I did most of my mixtapes with it. But now he only serves as a dust catcher in "the bad room".