Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Hitmen For Hire - Money in the Pocket 7" (1998)

 I was there for the third wave. In Southern California in the mid-to-late 90s we had 19 different clubs in our general vicinity and we were going to shows three or four times a week. I know third wave ska.

 And I certainly know what a third wave ska-punk record looks like. This looks exactly like a third wave ska-punk record. I pretty much already knew what it would sound like before I played it. Young guys making puerile jokes with songs about school and girls, and their messed up job/car situation; distorted guitars; snotty/bratty vocals singing "pickituppickituppickitup!" with noticeable ripoff riffs and choruses from well known bands at the time.  

 

Look at that cover. Look at the record (white vinyl- they're up to something).

 


Now, you're getting the same vibe that I was getting, right. Third wave ska-punk?

 

But I was wrong. We are wrong. 

I was expecting something more like Bingo Mut but they sound more like Hepcat. It threw me for a loop.

Two instrumental tracks that I never would have expected from the images I was seeing.

Never judge a book by its movie and never judge a ska band by its record cover.

 

Actually, no, it's okay to judge a ska record by its cover; they are pretty accurate. Just not this one.

 

A - Money in the Pocket

B -  Captain Jones

 

DOWNLOAD from MEGA

 

DOWNLOAD from Zippyshare

 

  

 

  

No comments: