This is the first reggae album recorded and released in California.
I have posted before about California's first ska record but this is California's first reggae full length. The Shakers were the first American reggae band to be signed to a major record label - Warner-Elektra. This is the only thing the Shakers released - with the exception of the "Funny Girl" single with the b-side "Baby Come Back" which, as you know, is a cover of the Eddy Grant...I mean Equals hit.
Both of the songs on the single are on the album so this is all that they've recorded.
Members of the band later went on to form The Fabulous Titan's who released one single and an EP.
The single has been posted on Tone and Wave several years back (HERE) but I've never posted the EP yet. I have it and, if anybody gives a damn, I'll post it. Leave a comment.
1 Wonder Girl
2 Some Guys Have All the Luck
3 Easy Come, Easy Go
4 Missing You
5 Baby Come Back
6 Second Chance
7 Girl You Rock My Soul
8 Emergency Call
9 Funny Girl
10 There's Something About You
11 Feel Good All Over
"Girl You Rock My Soul" (a Rad Bryan cover - HERE's the original. It was later covered by Eddie Money on his 1980 album Playing for Keeps but it was titled Running Back. The guitar at the beginning shows that Eddie Money's cover was of the Shaker's version - not the original)
I put this record up for sale on eBay several times for $1.00 Buy It Now and nobody ever bought it. Your loss.
Also, I was wrong about California's first ska record. There was at least one other one that was recorded a few years before the Skyliters' record. Anyone know what it is? I'll give you some clues
* It was a b-side
*It had the word 'ska' in the title
*It was an instrumental
*The band is a well-known surf band
Jon commented:
"As far as I know the first band in California to release a "ska"
record was the Marketts, "Come See, Come Ska". If I recall my research
correctly that one came out at the tail end of the summer '64 ska craze,
August I think."
Jon is correct - over a decade before the Skyliters released "Bumpin Onn Down" the Marketts released their "Look for a Star" single with the b-side "Come See, Come Ska"
As far as I know the first band in California to release a "ska" record was the Marketts, "Come See, Come Ska". If I recall my research correctly that one came out at the tail end of the summer '64 ska craze, August I think.
As a related follow up, as far as I can tell the first ska song recorded in the United States was "Blue Beat" by Jerry Kennedy on Smash Records in May 1964. Jerry Kennedy was an A&R guy who recorded the occasional country song. He was working for Smash who had just licensed "My Boy Lollipop" and expected a big ska craze so they tried to be first to market with material.
I am aware that The Jiving Juniors recorded and released a handful of singles when they were living in NYC in 1960, but those are all straight Doo Wop records rather than proto-ska, at least to my ears.
Screamin' Jay Hawkins "The Whammee" 1953-55
-
A long overdue re-press for this unique collection of Screamin' Jay
Hawkins' finest seminal early performances, all beautifully re-mastered in
Maumau-sonic...
THE HEELWALKERS The Heelwalkers 1999
-
*Discogs*
Canadian Rock Band from Halifax, Nova Scotia. The group consisting of three
former members of Cleveland Steamer.
*Tracklist*
1
Open ...
Dubtember 28 - Dub to Cure the Weak of Heart
-
Here's one from Joe Jackson...not that Joe Jackson, but Ranking Joe,
Kingston Jamaica born DJ. Ranking Joe came out of the original Jamaican
Sound Sys...
Harmony As One
-
И еще немного hardcore мясорубки к нам в ленту, встречайте - *Harmony As
One*. Группу собрал экс участник Unseen Terror Pete Giles в 1988-1989
году. Так...
Primal Scream - The Screamadelica 12'' Singles
-
*PRIMAL SCREAM*
The Screamadelica 12'' Singles
2021 Sony Music
01. Loaded
02. I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have
03. Ramblin' Rose (Live In NYC)
04....
Wackies Rhythm Force - Planters Dub Vol. 1
-
Bull Wackies Music 2018 FLAC Digital Release
Beautiful Dub
Dangerous Dub
Dub My Love
Jah Know
Majesty Dub
My Love Dub
Warn Them Dub
Just Enough
Friends...
The Cassettes - The Cassettes
-
Banda: *The Cassettes*
Disco: *The Cassettes*
Ano: 2002
Gênero: Alternative Rock, Indie Pop/Rock, Power Pop, Steampunk, Mystic
Country
1. Intro (0:54)
2. H...
Modcast #609: Summer Sets
-
Say so long to summer and ride into autumn with some cool, new, mod
friendly music.
* Listen Now Download * Psychotic Youth -- Girls (2026)
Haircut 10...
Ginger And The Nutts - Pig In The Freezer (1981)
-
b/w Oil Wars
Great New Wave from this Reigate based band who also had a track [Typical
Radio] on the 1981 VA LP Class Of '81
*Georgina Hill* (Voc Violin)...
EATER - Get Your Yo Yo's Out (Live) EP 1978
-
The recordings for this fucking piece of shit were made on April 24, 1978,
at a concert in the legendary London club Dingwalls. At this point, *Eater*
wa...
Skooch - Skooch EP (1999)
-
*Posted by Request *
American 90s pop punk with a horn section. I don't know what state they're
from or if they have ever released anything else.
...
New single "Tell A Stranger"
-
My new single "Tell A Stranger" is out now on Bandcamp and all the regular
streaming platforms. There is a B-Side that is exclusive to Bandcamp. It's
the...
Espiando en los 80's Venezuela Vol 2
-
1-Jah Jah Children - Vamos a Bailar
2-Henry Stephen - I Don't Know
3-Fabrica de Sueños - Tu Estilo de Amar
4-Callejon 88 - Negrito Fiel
5-Colina...
# 569 Ricky & the Spitfires - Rock'n'roll singer
-
Side a: Rock'n'roll singer
Side b: It's against the rules
DK 1978
Very fine powerpop record by this South African R'n'R group. It was
released on a danish...
Yo Sí Le Brinco - Desgracias, Gracias (2022)
-
“Somos una banda de punk rock originarios de leon gto. Decidimos hacer la
banda en tiempos pandemicos con el pretexto de poder salir del encierro y
distra...
Ore Ska Band
-
* ============================================================ Artist : Ore
Ska Band Album : ITOKASHI Genre : -=Ska-Punk=- Bitrate : VBR ~31...
New Heavensbee Album "We Mean Business" Released
-
After nearly 2 years of writing and recording, I'm excited to finally share
a pre-order link for the new Heavensbee album "We Mean Business" which will ...
No Comply
-
*Biography : *
No Comply are from Belgrade, Serbia. The band started in 2001, and made a
come back couple of years ago. A very good band from a country ...
AGGRESSIVE
-
ALEMANIA
Aggressive son una banda Street Punk Oi! de Ruhrpott, Alemania.
2015- Spit Blood
01- Aggressive
02- Chain Reaction
03- Alone With The Wolve...
2 comments:
As far as I know the first band in California to release a "ska" record was the Marketts, "Come See, Come Ska". If I recall my research correctly that one came out at the tail end of the summer '64 ska craze, August I think.
As a related follow up, as far as I can tell the first ska song recorded in the United States was "Blue Beat" by Jerry Kennedy on Smash Records in May 1964. Jerry Kennedy was an A&R guy who recorded the occasional country song. He was working for Smash who had just licensed "My Boy Lollipop" and expected a big ska craze so they tried to be first to market with material.
I am aware that The Jiving Juniors recorded and released a handful of singles when they were living in NYC in 1960, but those are all straight Doo Wop records rather than proto-ska, at least to my ears.
Post a Comment